Sharee gave me a project for my birthday. She decided she would whip up 4 batches of ginger bread and enable me to build a modest gingerbread house. I found a piece of plywood in the garage, foil covered it and decided that since the board was bigger than the average gingerbread plot, I would build a gingerbread manor, or mansion. I baked the bread that Sharee mixed up while Sharee did dinner and helped the kids we had over for babysitting group. They then all decorated graham cracker houses with some of the colored sugar I purchased earlier while I continued to bake. I finally started assembling the house at about 10PM, and got all but the center section roof together. After church today, Parker and Londyn wanted to help, so they were patient enough to place the items I told them and they waited for instructions. It was a lot of fun as we assembled the finishing touches for several hours this afternoon. The pictures below show the size of the mansion. The foil covered plywood plot is about 2' x 2'. Check it out.-Rob




4 comments:
That is amazing! You have way too much time on your hands :) That looks way more complicated than any of the birthday cakes I've tried to assemble and those always make me crazy. Too bad you aren't closer or I'd have to hire you out as my gingerbread house guy! By the way - Happy Birthday!! Sorry I didn't get you called - I'm not very on the ball. Did you have a good day - I mean other than the obvious fun with the gingerbread mansion?
The estate has seen its prime now. I estimate that I spent 7 hours assembling it. With the roughly 4 hours that both Londyn and Parker spent helping me with it, it brings the total to near 15 hours... that is how long it took me to replace the clutch in my truck (it was the first time for me and I put the transmission in by myself). Not bad. Sharee said we should wait to start eating the candy off of it until some of our friends who saw the start of it came to see the finished product. I called them and one of the two families stopped by to see it... we started munching on it anyway. The red licorice on the car went first, so the ferrari now looks like a go-kart. The sour strawberry strips on the roof went next and the shrubs are nearly gone too. I imagine that the gumdrops and the red hots will be last off the house. Glad you liked it. It was fun to make. I'm hoping the weight of the gumdrops on the somewhat flexible roof will hold. The entire house is gingerbread. We found that thicker bread is less structurally sound, but the last couple batches slated for the roof were thicker, so ended up being less stiff and have already broken off the overhang and are beginning to sag. I think next year's house will be smaller with more landscaping. I liked doing the car and the fountain more than the house. Though figuring out he roof angles and making it all fit was a good challenge.
That is really cool. I don't think I would have the patience to make a house like that.
I love the house. I'm with Lindsey I just don't have the patience or maybe I just don't want to have the patience. I hope your birthday was good sorry I didn't call I had the best intentions to call or send a card. However if I sent a card you would need to do major disenfecting of it before you opened it so you wouldn't catch all the sickness from our house. So I guess I can take comfort in the fact that I didn't send a card and didn't get you sick. :)
Post a Comment